We are taking a number of measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at our centre. This page outlines our COVID Safe policy and we will keep this page updated with the latest information.Last updated 11th February
Changes To How We Operate
In accordance with government guidance, we have implemented a number of measures:
- We have implemented a QR-code check in to record contact details for every person attending a class. This is so that if someone does test positive for coronavirus, we are able to pass along the details for the people they will have been in contact with to NSW Health.
- There are capacity limits in each room in order to ensure an average of no more than one person per two/four square metres (according to whatever the current requirement is). Signs will be posted in each room showing the limit.
- Some of our classes have the option to join from home using Zoom. See our classes page for more information.
- There will be no communal chanting, including saluting the shrine and chanting mantras.
- We recommend wearing a face mask while in the centre. We will have face masks available near the entrance.
What You Can Do
In addition to the above requirements, we are asking anyone coming to our centre to:
- Wash or sanitise your hands. We will have hand sanitiser available near the entrance.
- Stay 1.5 metres apart from each other and do not have physical contact with others.
- Do not come to the centre or to any retreat if you are unwell, have recently been to one of the places listed on NSW Government's website or have been in contact with someone who has or may have COVID-19. Take advantage of our ongoing online offerings instead.
In addition to the online classes we are running, many of our friends around the world have created online resources. If you are self-isolating at home, you may find these resources useful:
- The Buddhist Centre Online has an online toolkit where they are running daily meditations every day at 6:30pm Sydney time, home retreats, podcasts, and have links to other great resources.
- The London Buddhist Centre has an online programme with videos, online classes, and more.
- Free Buddhist Audio have a huge collection of audio talks from Triratna Order Members, and the complete archive of our teacher Sangharakshita.
- Windhorse Publications (UK) have a great selection of books and eBooks from Triratna authors and are currently giving away a free topical eBook each week.
- Windhorse Books (Australia) have a selection of books and meditation equipment with home delivery available.
The outbreak of COVID-19 is a graphic reminder of the interconnectedness of all life. It is also a reminder to apply the Buddha’s teachings to respond with kindness, clarity and fearlessness. We would like to extend mettā and well-wishing to all beings.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us. We look forward to welcoming you at the Sydney Buddhist Centre.