This page outlines our COVID Safety policy and we will keep this page updated with the latest information.Last updated 26th February 2022
COVID Safety On Retreats
While we are taking precautions to reduce the risk of COVID transmissions, we cannot guarantee that Vijayaloka is a COVID-free space. Being on retreat means you will be in close contact with the same group of people: preparing food and eating together, meditating in an enclosed space, and sharing dorm rooms. Before booking or coming on a retreat you should consider if coming on a retreat is suitable for your circumstances. We offer other alternatives for learning and practicing meditation and Buddhism, including online activities.
Before coming on retreat:
- You will need to be fully vaccinated, including having had a booster if you are eligible for one. You will need to show your vaccine certificate at the start of the retreat.
Please take a Rapid Antigen Test on the day of the retreat before setting off for Vijayaloka. Do not come to Vijayaloka if this test is positive. If you are coming on a longer retreat, please bring another one with you to take on the third day.
Vijayaloka will have a limited number of tests available if you are unable to find any before coming, or if you forget to bring one. However please be aware our supplies are limited, and we will charge $15 to cover the cost of each test.
- Be aware that Vijayaloka does not have the space for every person to have their own room and so you will likely be sharing with one other person in a dorm. If you are coming with someone with whom you already share a household, let us know and we can allocate you a room together. You are also welcome to bring a tent and camp if you would like.
If you are unable to meet these requirements, such as because of a medical reason, please contact us before booking.
Please do not book or come on retreat if you are experiencing any COVID symptoms are a close contact of anyone who has COVID. If you are unable to attend the retreat because you start experiencing symptoms, or receive a positive test, we will offer a full refund, waiving our usual cancellation policy.
COVID Safety At The Centre
Some of our classes are still running online. Check our Classes page for the most up-to-date information.
For in-person classes:
- We ask everyone to please not come to the centre if you are unwell, or are a close contact of anyone who has COVID. Take advantage of our ongoing online offerings instead.
- We ask everyone to exercise appropriate hygiene and social distancing.
In addition to the online classes we are running, many of our friends around the world have created online resources. You may find these resources useful:
- The Buddhist Centre Online has an online toolkit where they are running daily meditations every day at 4:30pm Sydney time, home retreats, podcasts, and have links to other great resources.
- The London Buddhist Centre has an online programme with videos, online classes, and more.
- Free Buddhist Audio have a huge collection of audio talks from Triratna Order Members, and the complete archive of our teacher Sangharakshita.
- Windhorse Publications (UK) have a great selection of books and eBooks from Triratna authors.
- Windhorse Books (Australia) have a selection of books and meditation equipment with home delivery available.
The outbreak of COVID-19 is a graphic reminder of the interconnectedness of all life. It is also a reminder to apply the Buddha’s teachings to respond with kindness, clarity and fearlessness. We would like to extend mettā and well-wishing to all beings.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us. We look forward to welcoming you at the Sydney Buddhist Centre.