Although our centre is now open again, we are taking a number of measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at our centre. This page outlines our COVID Safe policy and we will keep this page updated with the latest information.Last updated 30th May
Classes at the Centre
These classes are now meeting at the centre. Some have the option to join online:
- Wednesday Young Sydney Buddhists
- Friday 11th Step Meditation & Recovery Workshop
- Wednesday Meditation & Dharma Book Club (option to join online)
- Thursday Evening Meditation (option to join online)
Classes Staying Online
For the time being, these classes are staying online:
Classes Not Operating
For the time being, these classes are not operating:
- Tuesday Daytime Meditation
- Saturday Yoga
Changes To How We Operate
In accordance with government guidance, we have implemented a number of measures:
- There are capacity limits in each room in order to ensure an average of no more than one person per four square metres. This is 14 people in the main shrine room, 8 in the front shrine room, 11 in the reception room, and 4 in the kitchen.
- We will be recording contact details for every person attending a class. This is so that if someone does test positive for coronavirus, we are able to pass along the details for the people they will have been in contact with to NSW Health.
- There will be no communal chanting, i.e. no saluting the shrine, no recitation of the refuges and precepts, and no call-and-response pūjā. There will be also be no shared pūjā books.
- We have replaced the mugs and glasses at our tea counter with disposable cups and water bottles. Alternatively, you can bring your own water bottle to fill up. We will also no longer have meals together in the centre.
What You Can Do
In addition to the above requirements, we are asking anyone coming to our centre to:
- Wash or sanitise your hands. We will have hand sanitiser available near the entrance.
- Stay 1.5 metres apart from each other and do not have physical contact with others.
- Consider making donations online from your own device, or set up a regular standing donation so that our team do not have to handle cash and we do not have multiple people touching the card reader.
- Do not come to the centre if you are unwell or have been in contact with anyone who is unwell. Take advantage of our ongoing online offerings instead.
In addition to the online classes we are running, many of our friends around the world have created online resources. If you are self-isolating at home, you may find these resources useful:
- The Buddhist Centre Online has an online toolkit where they are running daily meditations every day at 4:30pm and 11:30pm Sydney time, home retreats, a daily podcast, and have links to other great resources.
- The London Buddhist Centre has an online programme with videos, online classes, and more.
- Free Buddhist Audio have a huge collection of audio talks from Triratna Order Members, and the complete archive of our teacher Sangharakshita.
- Windhorse Publications (UK) have a great selection of books and eBooks from Triratna authors and are currently giving away a free topical eBook each week.
- Windhorse Books (Australia) have a selection of books and meditation equipment with home delivery available.
The outbreak of COVID-19 is a graphic reminder of the interconnectedness of all life. It is also a reminder to apply the Buddha’s teachings to respond with kindness, clarity and fearlessness. We would like to extend mettā and well-wishing to all beings.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us. We look forward to welcoming you at the Sydney Buddhist Centre.