We are taking precautions to reduce the risk of COVID transmissions in line with Government recommendations, but we cannot guarantee that Vijayaloka is a COVID-free space. Being on retreat means you will be in close contact with the same group of people: preparing food and eating together, meditating in an enclosed space, and sharing dorm rooms. Before booking or coming on a retreat you should consider if coming on a retreat is suitable for your circumstances. We offer other alternatives for learning and practicing meditation and Buddhism, including online activities.
Before coming on retreat:
- You will need to be fully vaccinated, including having had a booster if you are eligible for one. You will need to show your vaccine certificate at the start of the retreat.
- Please take a Rapid Antigen Test test on the day of the retreat before setting off for Vijayaloka. Do not come to Vijayaoka if this test is positive.
Vijayaloka will have a limited number of RATs available if you are unable to find any before coming, or if you forget to bring one. However please be aware our supplies are limited, and we will charge $15 to cover the cost of each test.
- Be aware that Vijayaloka does not have the space for every person to have their own room and so you will likely be sharing with one other person in a dorm. If you are coming with someone with whom you already share a household, let us know and we can allocate you a room together. You are also welcome to bring a tent and camp if you would like.
If you are unable to meet these requirements, such as because of a medical reason, please contact us before booking.
Please do not book or come on retreat if you are experiencing any COVID symptoms or are a close contact of anyone who has COVID. If you are unable to attend the retreat because you start experiencing symptoms, or receive a positive test, we will offer a full refund, waiving our usual cancellation policy.
While on retreat we aim to create a peaceful atmosphere, free from distraction, that is conducive to deepening practice. We will ask you to help us maintain this environment in several ways. If any of these will be problematic for you, please contact us before you book.
- We ask all attendees to turn off (not just on flight mode) mobile phones and other similar devices. If someone might need to contact you in an emergency, we can provide you with the retreat leader's phone number.
- Vijayaloka is a meat, smoke, drug and alcohol free retreat centre. Please do not bring any meat, fish, alcohol or drugs. If you need to smoke, please do so well away from the retreat centre.
- To support an atmosphere of stillness and contentment for yourself and other retreatants, we ask you to abstain from all forms of sexual activity while you are on retreat.
We want you to have a safe and enjoyable time on retreat with us. If any of the following applies, please contact us before you book so that we can make sure we will be able to accomodate you in the best way possible:
- You have any physical, emotional or mental health difficulties that may affect your participation in the retreat, especially if you are on medication or currently seeing a psychiatrist, or you will be unable to share a room.
- You have any dietary requirements other than requiring plant-based food (all food at Vijayaloka is plant-based) or an allergy to gluten, nuts, garlic and/or onions (options for these are available on the booking form).
- You are under 18 years old.
- There is anything else we may need to be aware of to ensure you get the most out of your retreat experience.
Our retreats often book out. The booking cost includes a non-refundable* deposit of $40. If you need to cancel your booking, the remaining amount can be transferred or refunded. If you cancel with at least 48 hours notice the deposit can also be transferred onto any other upcoming retreat.
* Does not apply if you develop COVID symptoms or have been in close contact with anyone who has COVID since booking. In this situation, please contact us and we will provide a full refund or transfer.